Uniforms improve the classroom learning environment
Uniforms improve the classroom learning environment by:
1. Helps students concentrate on their school work by setting a tone for serious study
2. Removes distractions created by socioeconomic differences and modern fashion
3. Instills discipline and self-respect with students
Student dress, grooming, and cleanliness are important to the growth and development of a young adolescent and learning to dress appropriately is a life skill. Parents have the primary responsibility of teaching and guiding their students on the importance of dressing, grooming, and cleanliness. Schools are responsible for maintaining a safe and orderly environment and a unified dress code policy is just one of many policies that help create an environment that promotes safety, order, and a constructive learning atmosphere. Students must arrive at school dressed according to the uniform dress code policy. The uniform dress code policy is strictly enforced. Please contact your Dekalb Academy of Technology & Environment representatives if you have questions or concerns.
RULES AND TIPS
FOR SUCCESSFUL COMPLIANCE TO THE UNIFORM POLICY:
- Uniforms must be worn at all time. No Exception!
- Pants/shorts/skirts/Capri’s must be worn at the waist.
- Shirts must be buttoned and tucked in at all times.
- Ties are to be worn with all shirts and Peter Pan Blouses.
- Full Uniform Required Monday through Thursday
- On Fridays, students may wear Spirit Shirts & Khakis
- PE Uniform for 4-8th grade ONLY
Section One: General Provisions. Uniforms at Dekalb Academy of Technology & Environment are mandatory. Implementation of the Dekalb Academy of Technology & Environment is as follows:
- General: Uniforms must be worn during school hours, except under special circumstances as announced by the school. Uniforms must also be worn for all before and after school programs, including field trips and special school activities, and all tutoring and enrichment sessions, except on occasions when costumes may be required for dress rehearsals or performances. Gym clothes may be required for athletic activities.
- Appearance: Students must present a clean, modest, and neat appearance at all times. All clothing must be appropriately sized and worn correctly. Pants/shorts/skirts must be worn at the waist, shirts must be buttoned and tucked in, shoes must be tied or fastened, clothing must be worn right-side-out, etc. Clothing shall not be excessively worn or have holes.
- Footwear: Shoes for students should be in neutral or coordinating colors. Shoes should be conservative in style. Students must wear shoes that are not distracting (no lights, charms, or characters). Closed toed and closed heel shoes only. Heels or soles may not be higher than 2 inches. Athletic shoes may be required for gym.
- Socks: Socks or tights must always be worn. Socks for students should coordinate with the uniform. Girls may also wear appropriate smooth opaque or cable knit tights. No nylon stockings may be worn.
- Underclothing: Other than plain white undershirts worn under uniform shirts, underclothing should not be visible. Girls are encouraged to wear shorts under skirts and jumpers. Shorts, knit leggings or pants that show underneath these articles of clothing are not allowed.
- Hemlines: The hemlines in jumpers and skirts shall be no shorter than 2 inches above the kneecap; shorts and skorts will not be shorter than 4 inches above the kneecap.
- The Board-approved Crest may be worn on Board-approved uniform tops.
- Jewelry, etc.: Girls may wear jewelry or hair accessories that are appropriate for wear at school and are not a distraction. Boys may not wear earrings. All jewelry, if worn, must not be a distraction to the educational environment of the class or school. Sunglasses should not be worn inside the school building.
- Hair: Must be kept neat, have a combed appearance, and be appropriate for school. Irregular coloring of hair or outlandish hairstyles are inappropriate. Hair coloring and outlandish hairstyle parameters will be left to the discretion of the Headmaster.
- Cosmetics: Any makeup worn should be appropriate for school and not a distraction.
- Outerwear: All sweaters and vests must be worn with a uniform approved shirt underneath. Outerwear that is worn for warmth to and from school and at outside recess is not considered a uniform item.
- Spirit Shirts: Only club/organizational shirts and those shirts sold by PTO. No Field Day shirts can be worn.
Dress items not specifically covered above but considered inappropriate or contrary to the Purpose Statement in the Uniform Policy are subject to review and interpretation by the Board of Directors.
Enforcement of the uniform policy will be overseen by school staff and the DeKalb Academy of Technology & Environment. The school should strive to achieve compliance through use of incentives and positive reinforcement measures and should resort to disciplinary action only when positive measures fail to result in compliance. The school will communicate with parents so that expectations, rationale, and benefits are clearly published.
When necessary, DeKalb Academy of Technology & Environment will implement the following discipline policy:
1. First infraction: Verbal reprimand, contact parent and In-School Suspension (ISS) until end of day or correction of the violation.
2. Second infraction: Required parent conference and two (2) days ISS.
3. Third infraction: Contact parent, three (3) days ISS and Local Formal Hearing, which may result in up to 10 days ISS, local probation and/or parent attend classes with student in lieu of ISS.
Chronic violation of this expectation will result in the charge of #19a – Repeated Violation of School Rules – and a possible referral to an alternative setting upon a finding of guilty by the Student Evidentiary Hearing Committee.
- The Uniform Committee shall monitor uniform implementation and recommend to the Governing Board any needed changes to the policy or regulations it perceives needed based on developing circumstances.
- Modification of the Uniform Policy and Regulations will take place by Board action.