What is STEAM?
- The skills and knowledge in each discipline are essential for student success
- These fields are deeply intertwined in the real world and in how students learn most effectively
- STEAM is an interdisciplinary and applied approach that is coupled with hands-on, problem-based learning
What Happened to STEM?
- Arts ≠ Crafts
- Arts = Design & Creativity
- STEAM engages both hemispheres of the brain with open-ended creative activities
- Arts and STEM are not at odds. Just ask astronaut Mae Jemison!
STEM Certified School
DATE has been given given the distinctive recognition as a STEM Certified School by AdvancED (SACS)
STEAM Bus Facts
• 24-foot Bus
• 11 Hands-on Learning Stations
• Interactive Smart Boards
• Wireless Internet Access
• Advanced Stereo Sound
• Laboratory Equipment: – Microscopes – Exotic Animals – 3-D Engineering Blocks – Master Tools
• Reaching >6,000 Students Annually
• Serving Greater Atlanta
Hands On Programs & Activities
• Earth & Space Science
• Weather & Climate
• Land & Marine Ecosystems
• Motion & Sound
• Art Expression & Discovery
STEAM Bus Goals
Research and provide professional development opportunities for primary teachers in STEAM education, so that educators have the resources and skills they need to provide STEAM experiences to Primary Grades
STEAM Support of Curriculum:
Research and develop primary grades STEAM Lessons and units aligned with GDOE and National Science Standards to provide STEAM education, targeting primary students in grades Pre-k- 2 grades.
Partnerships and Community Awareness:
Increase awareness of STEAM education through communication and collaboration with the local community.
Establish and maintain partnerships with STEAM businesses, industries and higher education to provide STEAM opportunities for teachers and students.
STEAM Opportunities for all Students:
Increase STEAM experiences and support curricular and after-school STEAM opportunities for students.
Reserve the STEAM Bus
Maker Space & Technology Lab
Our media center has a maker space for tinkering and making and a 3D Printer
K-4 Google Chromebooks
5-6 Window Laptops
STEAM Teams is our partner in delivering STEAM programs and pathways to our students.